Nicosia – The Cyprus VAT Association (CYVA) is now accepting membership applications.
CYVA is a newly-formed association aiming at bridging the communication gap between businesses and Value Added Tax (VAT) professionals with the government, the Tax Department and lawmakers.
CYVA also aims at contributing to the proper adoption of VAT European Directives and Regulations, to help modernise and simplify the Cyprus VAT legislation, and to liaise and consult with the European Commission and other international bodies on Cyprus VAT matters.
Eligible for membership with the Association are all local and international businesses and professionals in Cyprus such as trading and construction companies, importers, consultants, such as audit, accounting and law firms, doctors, architects, engineers, administrative services providers, as well as self-employed persons.
Annual Membership is set at €150. CYVA members enjoy a wide range of benefits, including:
- Receiving, reviewing and commenting on all draft legislation, circulars or other documents submitted to CYVA by the Ministry of Finance;
- Participating in the activities of CYVA in the VAT areas of their interest;
- Submitting suggestions or highlighting practical VAT problems their businesses face as topics for discussion and dialogue between CYVA and the Department of Taxation (CYVA does not deal with the resolution of VAT assessments nor does it provide VAT advice);
- Participating in CYVA’s member-exclusive VAT seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Receiving updates on CYVA’s activities placing them on the pulse of VAT in Cyprus.
The inaugural meeting of CYVA took place recently in Nicosia, during which the founding members of the association, Chelco VAT Ltd, Nexia Poyiadjis, Scordis, Papapetrou & Co LLC, Andreas Konnaris LLC, GDK Optimus Audit Services Ltd, C. Efstathiou Audit Ltd and Kinanis LLC elected the Board of Directors and discussed their first steps.
Kinanis LLC Partner, Demetra Constantinou, was elected Chairwoman, the Managing Director of Chelco VAT Ltd, Alexis Tsielepis, was elected Vice-Chairman, Chelco VAT Director, Panayiotis Panayi, as Secretary and Nexia Poyiadjis Senior Partner, Susana Poyiadjis, as Treasurer.